Tuesday, August 13, 2013

And so begins our two week adventure...

We have embarked on a two week journey that we've been anticipating for MONTHS! Just a mom and her two kiddos, out to see the world (well a part of it anyway). I told my daughter that we were going half way around the world and her jaw dropped to the floor. She said, "Really???" I said, "Well, no. But at least an eighth."Either way, we're stoked to be on this whirlwind of a trip.

I have spent the last few days planning out the process of packing in my head. Trying to find the easiest, and least stressful, path through the mine-field of a task. I knew that I'd be working until the very last minute in order to prepare my department at work for being gone for two weeks. I knew I'd be drained from not being able to sleep with anticipation and thoughts of how I was going to make this all work.

So the packing is done. It went better than anticipated. I only freaked out twice. My good friend came to pick us up for the airport. She said, "I give you huge props. I don't know how you handle all this so well." Her words were validating and flattering since she had to witness us finish the process of packing with an extra bonus of losing my son's wallet as we had to leave the house. He was not leaving the house without that wallet and his $6.45. We had to tear all the bags apart to find it. And not only did we find it, but we found in the place that I hid it so it wouldn't get lost! A seriously funny family moment. There were cheers and laughter after an arduous search.

Waiting to board the plane


First stop: Seattle, WA

We arrived later in the evening and the kids are adjusting to their first night in a motel. The sheltered lifestyle we live is showing. It's not the worst of motels, but it's not a nice hotel. Somewhere smack in the middle. The kids reaction to hearing others in the hallway, smelling the lingering smoke in the room, and seeing the, not so beautiful view from our window was hilarious. We've been doing some talking about "real life" and how mom wouldn't pick a hotel that isn't safe. The kids seriously thought we might be in danger staying here...and it's really not that bad! We will wake early to pick up our rental car so we can drive out of he city and north into some beautiful areas including Bellingham and Vancouver, BC.




No comments:

Post a Comment